Hurricane Harvey Resources

Many District 7 residents have lost their homes or suffered flood damage as a result of Harvey. If you are a victim of the recent flooding in Harris County, resources are available to you. As always, should you need assistance with regard to FEMA benefits, please contact my D.C. office at (202) 225-2571. If your home has flooded, please be sure to also report it to the Harris County office of emergency management here

Please take a moment to review this comprehensive recovery resource guide my office has created here.

Registration Deadline for Disaster Assistance Now November 30

Texans affected by Hurricane Harvey now have until November 30, 2017, to register for federal assistance.

The deadline was November 24, however, an additional six days gives survivors more time through the Thanksgiving holiday. Federal assistance includes help for temporary housing, rental assistance and repair or replacement of damaged homes for eligible individuals and families who have suffered losses as a result of the storm.

Survivors may register in many ways:

  • Online at
  • Calling the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 (voice, 711/VRS-Video Relay Service)
  • (TTY: 800-462-7585). Multilingual operators are available (press 2 for Spanish).
  • Via the FEMA app, available for Apple and Android mobile devices. To download visit:
  • Visiting a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC). Find the location of nearby DRCs online at

If you DO have flood insurance: visit to register with FEMA and also file a claim with your insurance agent or, if you have a plan with NFIP Direct, call 1-800-638-6620.

  • You may be eligible for a FEMA award for immediate needs even if you have flood insurance.
Assistance with Filing an Insurance Claim: 

Texas State Representative Jim Murphy's office has established a mobile insurance claim station where residents can file insurance claims, ask questions, and get general assistance.  The station is at the Memorial City Mall, in the Sears parking lot off Barryknoll.  They will be there from Tuesday, September 5, through Monday, September 11.  They will be on site from noon to 6:00 P.M.

The following have already provided a mobile station and are on site (others have been invited and may also decide to participate). If you have an insurance policy with any of these companies (whether flood insurance, auto insurance or renter's insurance) you are able to file your claim face to face with a company representative:

  • Texas Department of Insurance is available to assist consumers in filing claims and answering questions
  • Allstate
  • Liberty Mutual/Safeco
  • Travelers
  • Wellington
  • AAA

If you DO NOT have flood insurance: visit and register with FEMA.

  • You may be eligible for a FEMA award of up to a MAXIMUM of $33,000 to cover any of the following: Rental Assistance, Lodging Expense Reimbursement, Home Repair Assistance (To help repair an owner-occupied primary residence, utilities, and residential structure) and Home Replacement Assistance.
  • You will likely also qualify for a low interest loan of up to $200,000 from the Small Business Administration. Your application at will provide information on these loans.
  • You may also be eligible for Transitional Sheltering Assistance which may provide temporary shelter at a qualifying hotel.
  • You may also be eligible for a one time payment of $500 under the Critical Needs Assistance program for critical needs such as fuel, baby formula and clothing. 

Please read this announcement from the U.S. Postal Service regarding mail pick up locations. 


If you are experiencing a life threatening emergency please dial 911.

  • U.S. Coast Guard: Due to the high call volume they are receiving, the Coast Guard has opened multiple telephone lines. Please stay on the line until you reach an operator: 281-464-4851, 281-464-4852, 281-464-4853, 281-464-4854, 281-464-4855
  • Harris County Evacuation Assistance Registration: 2-1-1 (County wide) 3-1-1 (in Houston)
  • Harris County Office of Emergency Management: 713-881-3100
  • Texas Emergency Assistance Hotline: 1-877-541-7905
  • Social Security Administration: 1-800-772-1213
  • Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA): 1-800-621-3362 TTY 1-800-462-7585
  • American Red Cross: 1-866-GET-INFO Or 1-866-438-4636
  • Local American Red Cross: 713-526-8300



Recovery specialists from FEMA, the Small Business Administration, the State and other agencies will be at disaster recovery centers to offer in-person support to individuals and businesses that have been impacted by Hurricane Harvey.

Katy Mills Mall (Fort Bend County)

5000 Katy Mills Circle

Katy TX 77494

Hours of Operation
Mondays - Saturdays: 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Sundays: 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.

Bayland Community Center (Harris County)

6400 Bissonnet Street

Houston, Texas 77074

Hours of Operation
Mondays - Saturdays: 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Sundays: 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.

The Church Without Walls (Harris County)

57 Queenston Boulevard

Houston, Texas 77084

Hours of Operation
Mondays - Saturdays: 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Sundays: 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.

Weekly Community Center (Harris County)

8440 Green House Rd.

Cypress, TX 77433

Services: Registration, status update, SBA. Thurs-Sat 9 a.m.-6 p.m.

Services: Registration. Mon-Wed 9 a.m.-6 p.m.

Closed Sundays

Greenspoint Mall (Harris County)

263 Greenspoint Mall

Houston TX 77060

Hours of Operation
Mondays - Saturdays: 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Sundays: 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.

St. John Vianney Catholic Church (Harris County)

625 Nottingham Oaks Trail

Houston, Texas 77079

Hours of Operation
Mondays - Saturdays: 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Sundays: Closed

Although I cannot override the decisions made by a federal agency, I can often intervene on a person's behalf to answer questions, find solutions, or just cut through the red tape. However, regardless of which agency you need help with, I need a completed privacy authorization form to comply with the provisions of the Privacy Act. My D.C. office can be reached at (202) 225-2571 to answer any questions you have.


The FEMA Individual Assistance Program may provide financial assistance to you to help you recover from damage sustained by hurricane Harvey. Click here for more information on the program and eligibility. Visit to apply.

The Small Business Administration (SBA) provides low-interest disaster loans to homeowners and renters. SBA disaster loans can be used to repair or replace real estate and personal property. Visit for more information and to apply.

Business Owners
The Small Business Administration (SBA) provides low-interest disaster loans to businesses of all sizes as well as private non-profit organizations. SBA disaster loans can be used to repair or replace the following items damaged or destroyed in a declared disaster: real estate, personal property, machinery and equipment, and inventory and business assets. Visit for more information and to apply.

Survivors with questions regarding their applications or the appeals process still have several ways to obtain information:

If you have problems navigating the FEMA application process, or you need assistance with any other federal agency, please contact my D.C. office at (202) 225-2571.

Harris County Flood Control District Administers the FEMA Voluntary Home Buyout Program in Harris County. For information on the program, eligibility, and to apply, click here.


The Texas General Land Office (GLO) has launched the informational website "Texas Rebuilds", which is designed for both individuals and local government officials to access information about the disaster assistance housing options available through FEMA. GLO and FEMA have established a partnership to outline the programs and funding mechanisms for the immediate housing needs for the state's initial Hurricane Harvey recovery efforts. The website includes information about the disaster asssitance housing options along with links to register with FEMA, how to contact the FEMA hotline and more. 

Local government immediate disaster assistance housing options include:

Multi-Family Lease and Repair:

  • Direct assistance to repair or improve existing multi-family housing such as apartments in order to provide more housing for survivors.
  • Properties must be three or more units, with each unit providing complete living facilities for cooking, eating, and sanitation. Hotels, motels, and extended stay hotels are not eligible at this time.

Direct Leasing:

  • Enables local governments to lease a property that typically would not be available to the public, such as corporate lodging.
  • Local government enters into the lease agreement on behalf of individuals or households. Various types of housing properties may be eligible.

Manufactured Housing Options (Mobile Homes and Recreational Vehicles):

  • Direct housing places manufactured housing units on private land or commercial pads.
  • Local permitting may apply.
  • Site must be suitable. Hauling and installation included.
  • An inspection of the site to determine suitability will be scheduled.

Partial Repair and Essential Power for Sheltering (PREPS):

  • PREPS provides minor repairs to homes in locations with limited housing options.
  • For eligible properties that have incurred limited damage displacing individuals from their homes.
  • PREPS provides basic, emergency home repairs - not to include finish work.

Direct Assistance for Limited Home Repair

  • Program provides partial repairs to homes with significant damages.
  • Program can include partial repairs to a damaged home where alternative housing is not available or is not cost-effective.
  • FEMA will determine eligibility for permanent housing construction on a case-by-case basis.
  • All other forms of housing assistance must be exhausted before the program can be considered.

To be considered for assistance, individuals affected by Hurricane Harvey must first register at

For shelter, food, clothing, and other emergency assistance, call the Houston American Red Cross at (713) 526-8300 or visit their website. 


FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program has a call center to answer Texas policyholders’ flood insurance questions. Specialists can help with servicing claims, providing general information and offering technical assistance to aid in recovery. To speak with a flood insurance specialist, call 800-621-3362 between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.

The Texas Department of Insurance is also available to answer questions at 1-800-252-3439 or by visting their website. 


Harris County has teams that are working seven days a week to clear debris and assess damages. Fees for storm-related residential home inspections and permits have been waived by the Harris County Commissioners Court. Harris County has established a hotline to answer your questions regarding residential debris, damage assessments, and permitting and inspection questions. You can call them at 713-274-3880 or find additional information here.


Several organizations have websites that provide you with information on how to reconnect with family members. To register as safe and well, please visit the American Red Cross database here.


     Texas Department of Transportation -

     Houston TRANSTAR -

To view outages in your area, please click here. 

     Natural Gas - (713) 659-2111
     Electricity - (713) 207-2222


Harris County - For comprehensive information within Harris County visit To report home flooding, the Harris County office of emergency management has set up a website. 

City of Houston –Houston residents should visit the City of Houston recovery website, or dial 3-1-1 for assistance.

Harris County Flood Control District – For the latest information on the state of Harris County’s watersheds, visit the website or to report house flooding call 713-684-4000. 

Harris County Recovery Network –For questions about general disaster recovery resources available to Harris County residents, please call the Community Services Department team at (713) 696-1998, or visit their website.

Houston Airports - Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport and William P. Hobby Airport remain closed until further notice. For updates on the status of the airports, please check for alerts. United and Southwest have put out advisories detailing options for customers to reschedule their itineraries for travel.  


  • To volunteer with high water vehicles or boats:

          Call 713-881-3100 and ask for a Fire Marshal

          Contact RAM at or 865-579-1530.

  • Anyone wanting to be paid for their services:
   or Google “FEMA Industry”

  • For contractors looking for work, they should be directed to the State of Texas purchasing and contracting office:

         512-463-3034, option 1.

  • Independent drivers/haulers:

         Coyote Broker,

          877-6-COYOTE   877-626-9683

  • Group drivers/haulers:

         1-844-GSA-4111   (1-844-472-4111)